This could be the first rememberance Day for me where I actually think of what it means, rather then be excited for a day off. Mostly because this is the first time it has hit home for me.On July 4, 2008, a very good friend of ours, Cpl Brendan Downey, died while serving overseas. He was a good man, and always made Ted and myself very welcomed in his home or whenever we were out with him. His wife Vanessa is the same way. When Ted went overseas while we were dating, it was Brendan and Vanessa who befriended me, inviting me into their home for dinner and giving me some company when I felt truly alone. When I lived in Cold Lake, there weren't too many guys I could handle to be around for longer then 10 minutes, but Brendan was certainly one I could be around all night. Such an amazing heart he had, a true friend. And we miss him dearly. Though the cause of his death is still unknown to Ted and myself, however he died, be it friendly fire or suicide, the man did not deserve to go just yet. I don't believe his days on earth were over, but his life was taken from him and he leaves his family and friends left with just the memories.

Life in the military has a lot of ups and downs. I always tell Ted that when he signed up for the military he signed his life away, and in a way, I'm right. He moves where they tell him to, he gets sent away from his family when they tell him to go. He has no choice in the matter and he must do as they say. And then I marry the guy and sign my life over to Ted, whose life is owned by the military, so in a way, they own me too! Not what I wanted. But this past Sunday our church had a rememberance day service, and Ted marched in with veterans of the Korean war, and I couldnt feel more proud of Ted. The men he walked in with have see
n and been through so much and it finally made me think and realize what it is Ted is doing out there. And Im not saying for a second that all my anger and fears about the military life just faded away on that day, but my respect for the men and women, not only the ones enlisted but the spouses of those who are sent overseas, it is great. I have a friend whose husband left for overseas only months after his little girl was born, leaving his wife and newborn alone for 6 months. They are now pregnant with their second, due in July, and he once again has to leave overseas, but he leaves the month before the due date. I dont know how either of them could handle that. I don't think I could. Ive seen pictures and videos of wives and children greeting their loved ones back to the country and the excitement of finally being able to hold them again is overwhelming. Since Ive known Ted he has been gone twice, once overseas and once to Alberta, both for approximately 40 days each time. It was hard to deal with, and all I could think about when he was gone was "what will I do if he is sent to Afghanistan for more then 6 months?"
n and been through so much and it finally made me think and realize what it is Ted is doing out there. And Im not saying for a second that all my anger and fears about the military life just faded away on that day, but my respect for the men and women, not only the ones enlisted but the spouses of those who are sent overseas, it is great. I have a friend whose husband left for overseas only months after his little girl was born, leaving his wife and newborn alone for 6 months. They are now pregnant with their second, due in July, and he once again has to leave overseas, but he leaves the month before the due date. I dont know how either of them could handle that. I don't think I could. Ive seen pictures and videos of wives and children greeting their loved ones back to the country and the excitement of finally being able to hold them again is overwhelming. Since Ive known Ted he has been gone twice, once overseas and once to Alberta, both for approximately 40 days each time. It was hard to deal with, and all I could think about when he was gone was "what will I do if he is sent to Afghanistan for more then 6 months?" The lives of those who were lost serving our country, and not just our own country but serving the people of these countries to keep peace and find freedom for them, they will not be forgotten. 
1 comment:
Very interesting - and well said!
Post a Comment