Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Adjusting to the new life

I figured I would try and update this as often as possible (in other words whenever I think of it) as long as I know people are actually reading it.
Ted had basically been off of work since we moved, so July 12 until August 14.  He did go to work for basically a day and a half when we first arrived, but it was quick and all he was doing was clearing into the base, so he wasn't really "working."  His time off once we were settled into the house was not that exciting for any of us, it was just a lot more settling and getting things done - for example changing our drivers licenses over to Ontario, getting an Ontario health number, switching plates over, etc.  Honestly I am not sure how we would have gotten everything done if he hadn't taken the time off.
We did try to do stuff as well, we went to the Zoo with an offer through the military, it was great weather until lunch and then it rained!  Make that poured!  We went equipped for rain though so we stayed fairly dry.  After the zoo we decided to stop at Ikea - what a crazy idea!  Ikea, downtown Toronto on a Saturday is a dumb idea!  Ted thought I wanted to shop, but since I was exhausted from walking around the zoo, the idea of walking around a crowded Ikea was not something I wanted to do.  So we grabbed ice cream and ate it outside.  Next we headed North to Barrie and stopped at this HUGE outdoors place, so of course we stopped and while Ted drooled over hunting gear, Malachi and I checked out Children's Place (which was also a zoo!) and we picked up a Canucks shirt for him!  By the time we ate supper and got home it was 8pm.  It was a long day but it was enjoyable! 
By the elephants



On the long weekend Sunday we tried out a church here in Angus, of course it was the long weekend and so a lot of people were gone camping or wherever.  Malachi seemed to enjoy his time in Sunday School and of the few people we talked to (including the pastor), we figured we go back for a second try.  It seemed to be the same amount of people again only this time it appeared to be different people.  Malachi again enjoyed his time in Sunday School, but the lack of friends to play with after the service seemed to really get to him.  He spent the rest of the day just miserable and you could tell he was fighting his feelings and unsure of how to express them to us.  It was sad.  As for Ted and I, we talked with one older man and when it seemed like no one else was willing to talk, we headed home.  We were going to try a new church tomorrow, but looks like Ted is working.

Ted went back to work on Wednesday, he basically is either waking up at 5am or 5:30am, depending on whether he has to run that morning with the students or do an inspection.  He gets home between 4:30 and 5pm.  He is exhausted when he gets home, but of course all Malachi wants to do is play and all I want to do is talk to an adult.  But since Malachi wins out, I end up keeping to myself, enjoying the break from Malachi... of course I am making supper at this time so it's not a true break.  Ted has to work all weekend for some motorcycle event going on, he started at 10am and told me he probably won't be home until late tonight.  He has to work again in the morning, but it shouldn't be as long since he's just got to clean up after today's events.
So basically - Ted is exhausted after long hours at work, I am exhausted from being around Malachi 24/7 with no break and Malachi is missing friends and his daddy! This is definitely not a place for families to get "closer" to one another.  Because of this, Ted is very tempted to take a full 9 months off for parental once baby is here.  He's still unsure, but he seems to be leaning towards it.

Anyway, that's about it for this update.  Not much is happening, just living each day, knowing each one that passes will bring us closer to going back home.  Yes, that might sound pathetic, but I know this is definitely not my home and we are all looking forward to returning to BC! :)

No comments: