Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 30, 2008

What job am I cut out for?

One thing I used to thrive on was the fact that I had a lot of patience, but as I grow older, and the kids around me grow more rude, my patience seems to be fading... fast! I don't even know if it's just rudeness that has become the new fad for the babies of 1990 to present, but where did their lack of respect for authority go? When I watch an elementary student back talk to his teacher and there is no disipline dished back, it makes me think. Are the children to blame or their parents, teachers and "elders." I certainly hope my children grow up respecting their teachers, and anyone else in leadership of them. Because I know they will respect their parents or they will find themselves hanging out in their rooms A LOT (a room with NO tv, computer, or electronic games!).
Enough of my rambling, this all comes from my line of work. I've done it all, ok maybe not all of it, but I've done my fair share of working with children and in different settings. I've done the nightly babysitting, after school care to entire day care! I've taught Sunday School, Vacation Bible School and something called "Little Lambs." I've worked behind the camera, shooting the children, I've worked in a daycare and now I work in a middle school. And I think if I could chose from the above, I'd want to go back to night time babysitting! Children are sleeping and my main goal was to not let the house burn down and keep the children asleep! I could tell countless stories of bad behaviour of pretty much each child I've ever cared for, but that would take a while as the numbers are well over a hundred. So instead I will focus on one child, the child I work with now.
The other day at school I took Annika and Pam to the "ball" room, aka Learning Assistance, and the plan was to help both girls catch up on some homework assignments that are late being handed in. A little side note to mention. Annika, the girl I am basically "in charge" of, got pretty much nothing done while I was in Prince George. My fill in apparently has been spoken to about the lack of work that was done, and when I appreciate that a. this person knows she didnt get away with it and 2. that perhaps my work with Annika will be looked at with more appreciation. So, with that said, Annika has basically fallen 2 weeks behind, after already arriving to the school 3 weeks after it started. Lots of catching up to do! So back to the ball room, from my understanding this previous EA basically let the girls play or do as they wanted. Now I come back and need to get them back on track. So Pam sits and begins her work (a rare treat as she usually is all over the place, I made sure she knew I appreciated her hard effort). Annika however, decided climbing on the "fake" wall was more fun, and did so for 5 or 8 minutes, with me telling her almost every 30 seconds to "Come sit down!" Finally after I've made her come off the computer and she's sitting in her seat I tell her what homework she can work on. Easy stuff that can be done no problem by her. Instead, she doodles on her paper. So after trying to help her out, asking her (repeatedly) to begin working, I decided moving her away from all distractions might be the answer. So I grab ONE sheet of paper, the one in which she is to write on, and her pencil, I place it on a table away from Pam, who is trying her hardest to help me get Annika to work. I ask Annika, please sit down. Nothing doing! So for about another 10 minutes I stand and wait for her to do as I asked her. Finally class is done and I tell them its time for Library. She then moves to the table I had set out for her and begins her work. I tell her again, its time for library, and knowing that she will has chosen to ignore me, I just go and get the classroom teacher, who she listens to immediately!
Another story (I will try to keep this shorter), today for a homework assignment they are to draw a NICE picture which is to be taken out of a scene of a book the class is reading together. Once they all get started I explain to Annika what to do, give her some ideas on what to draw and figure this should be easy, she loves art! Ha, what was I thinking! After finally getting her to draw, she draws something a 5 year old would be proud of! This girl is 12 and Ive seen her art work. She draws something 3 times before its recess, each one messier then the first.
Whats hard for me to grasp is that I am pretty sure this is just 12 year old rebelious self coming out and not the learning problems that have slowly over taken her. Because if anyone else was to ask her, it would of been done. As Shannon (the class teacher) says, she is now realizing the honeymoon stage of school is over and now its work time!
All I know is what is keeping me going is the 3 hour days and the fact that in 6 months I will have my own bundle of fun to deal with! :)
I appreciate anyone who read my venting, and for now I must go eat the last dilly bar! :)

2 comments:

Jillica Jang said...

I love your rantings. I am sure Rhea could tell you a story or two of her extra special kids.

Anonymous said...

Ugh! That would literally drive me mad!!! I totally do not have the patience for that kind of attitude in the least. I may have 5 years ago, but the older I get the more patience I loose, lol. Anyways, it sounds to me like there are bigger problems than just a possible learning disability. It sounds like the girl really needs a child therapist, not a tutor. Just my 2cents ;o)