Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Stubborn Dutch Woman!

What a week... again! With some surprising turn of events, and a lot more fun with friends, the week has gone by fast enough! Something rather "Fun" Ted and I were invited to lunch after Church on sunday. Funny how a truck sales man who noticed my fishie sticker on my car made this happen... he invited us to his church, we attended and he introduced us to a young couple, the husband I attended Bible College with back in the day. Then the following sunday they invite us for lunch with a bunch of other young couples and now we're exchanging numbers and meeting people! I lived in Sooke a year and never made any friends! God is definitely doing stuff here, I knew moving here was a God thing! :)
That evening we had Joelene and Will over again, and cutie Adelle... it was nice to see them again They popped by the other day bearing gifts.. for our puppy! Funny, when my parents came to visit, they got my puppy a toy as well. Whats it going to be like when we one day have a kid??
Today I took a drive out to the Dutch shop in Parksville, interesting thing happened. Im standing in line and this old Dutch lady infront of me begins talking to the teller about people of different colors. Saying if she met a black family who invited her to a BBQ she would go and "share stories." She said if a black man or china man asked her to dance, she would dance with him. But the part that dropped my jaw... she actually said "If any of my children married someone of a different color, I would be so mad!" And then she had the nerve to compare skin color to animals! Saying that a chicken and a duck wouldnt marry, and because we as humans are of a higher level, whites should marry whites, blacks - blacks, chinese - chinese. I just stared... I couldnt believe I was hearing this. The thought of blurting something out crossed my mind, but I know Dutch people (I come from a Dutch family.. I am Dutch!) and I know old Dutch women are STUBBORN!! And anything I said would be shot down, and I figured I better just sit this one out. Oh and all the while, she claimed she was not racist... if thats not racism, well, I dont want to meet someone who is! And if I recall correctly; "Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in HIS sight!" She obviously didnt attend Sunday school! :)

No comments: