Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The sun is shining here today, so Malachi and I decided to take our puppy Neeko for a walk. Well she's not a puppy anymore, she's nearly 4 years old, but she still acts like one! We have this loop we walk by our place where it allows us to take her off leash and let her run free. Near the end of our walk, I spot another person walking their dog, so I grab Neeko and put her back on the leash. I see the other owner bring her dog out of the path way so I try to hurry along a pouting Malachi (Who now wants me to hold him, the leash and push his bike, do I look like supermom?) and my pup. Well her dog is pulling so hard that the black lab breaks free from its owner and comes to greet Neeko. I let go of her leash as I know two dogs on a leash can be a lot worse behaved. So they do their typical sniff and then its time to find out who is the dominant one. So they're both growling and showing each other their teeth. They are paying no mind to both myself and the other owner as we are yelling at them to get back to us, they start to fight by Malachi who is just flipping out at this point, I try to put him behind me but the dogs are all over and Malachi is so scared. Neeko was being the dominant one at first but something flipped and the black lab took over. So this lab is (for lack of a better word) humping my dog and biting her (Ted later said she was being raped... hahaha eww).  My puppy is looking up at me and I could see it in her eyes she was saying "Please help me!!" She was whimpering and the other dog wouldnt stop. I said to the other girl "Can you pull your dog off?!" But I think she was more freaked out then I was. So after a couple minutes of the black lab not backing off I decided to grab the black lab by the collar and pull it off my dog, who had lost her collar and leash in the fight. Of course pulling my dog wouldnt have done anything anyways since the other was in attack mode.
Anyway, as I grabbed the other dog off, I prayed I wouldn't get bit myself, which I thankfully didnt, my puppy ran to the other owner and you could see she was just asking for someone to save her from the dog. The other owner (who obviously should not be walking her dog if she can't hold the leash!) was very apologetic, and I was very nice about it, they're dogs, I get the fear of two dogs attacking each other. It always freaks me out. Anyway, I dont think the dog punctured through any skin, Neeko seems ok to me. What surprised me is after the whole ordeal I felt like I had just run 10 KM, I was so out of breath and exhausted!! 
And this is the very reason why I hate taking Neeko for a walk on my own.  It will probably be some time before I muster enough courage to do that again. 

No comments: