I don't know if it's because I'm pregnant, female, or because it was an overwhelming day (full of prenatal information!), but I am feeling very emotional today. I think right now my biggest hurt, or cause of tears, is a certain friend I once had. I met her several years back in College and we hit it off, having sleepovers, carpooling to school, and walking White Rock while licking our ice cream cones. We had serious talks about our life and mainly, why neither of us had a boyfriend! One particular walk we had around the neighbourhood happened only a month (if that) before we both began to date our now husbands. And we both agreed we would never shut out the other friend just to hang out with the guy. And we didnt! I tagged along with them and when Ted came to visit, she would come with us. We even "double dated" over to the island for a day around Christmas time. We talked about how each of us would be in our wedding parties and our tag name was "Fun and Beauty in One package."
Now I realize life changes and situations and circumstances change the way of life. I moved away several months later to Alberta, and by doing so, I left a lot of my friends. However, I believe I've always been the determined type to keep in contact with my friends no matter where I may be or where they may be. This friend became a little harder to keep in touch with. Often ditching out on me at the last minute or showing up only to leave soon after. Both my mom and Ted thought this was not a very good friend but I really couldnt forget our past and how much fun we had together.
When I got married, I did not use this person in my wedding party, however there were many friends I always thought would walk the aisle before me and they never did either (I guess thats what moving away does!). However I wanted all of them to be there with me and I loved that they all came! Including this particular friend I've been talking about.
In the past year, I've seen her once and have received one or two emails from her, although I constantly send emails to her. Knowing that we were nearing the time of her wedding, I sent out an email asking her when the big day was. I heard nothing. Finally I was told by her friend that she did (yes the wedding day was last saturday) get married, and I have now been able to look at her wedding photos online. I feel heart broken. It hurts me not only to have not been invited (though I can live with that), but that she didnt even have the decency to tell me when it was. Like suddenly, because I wasnt invited, she didnt want to talk to me.
I guess I just can't understand why? I don't know what or if I ever did anything to suddenly be mistreated... this isnt the first time in my life where Ive totally been dumped unexpectedly. Leaving me to wonder why people don't enjoy my friendship. I guess, like I said in the beginning, I'm having an emotional day and I guess this has all just been a lot harder for me to deal with. But now thats said and I can go cry into my pillow! ;)
1 comment:
Awe, I am so sorry to hear this, but at the same time can relate to the pain and confusion you feel.
When I moved to the US to marry my husband it was on relatively short notice and a very close friend I had at the time got so upset at my departure (which in all seriousness she knew was going to happen after spending the previous 5 months engaged). Anyways, she quit talking to me for nearly 2 years after and although I now am able to touch base with her through facebook or something now & then, it's never been the same, nor have most of the friendships that I had prior to my move.... even relationships with family has changed because of the distance and sometimes (a lot of the time honestly) it brings me to tears because it hurts.
So although I don't really have any words of wisdom to encourage you with I just wanted to empathize and let you know that I completely understand & suppose it's all just part of life and growth. Sometimes we grow together, sometimes we grow a part & I guess I do have a slight bit of wisdom in that I believe God brings friends into our lives sometimes for a lifetime, and sometimes just for a little while, but either way for a purpose because we need each other either for only a little while or forever, but there is definitely a reason they come into our lives, and a reason if/when they go.
I guess we just need to focus on the good times we had with them when we were together....
Post a Comment